Skip to main content

Why We Should Strive for a Cheerful Spirit

 Ugh. The three letter word that can turn a great day into a rough one. In fact, I woke up feeling that way today. I had so many plans this week. Good plans that didn’t just benefit me. I was so discouraged. Why now? Why not last week when I was already at home for most of the week?


I’ve heard people tell me that it’s important to be careful with the words I use. In particular, the way I speak them because if I say something destructive it could tear someone down. On the flip side of that I have to remember that I need to speak kind words to myself, too. If I don’t I not only bring myself down but everyone else during the course of my day. So instead of getting mad at myself for things out of my control like getting sick I need to refocus and realize that even though a situation like that is a surprise to me that it isn’t to God. Yes, He created my emotions and feelings so that doesn’t mean I can’t be disappointed when plans change unexpectedly. However, it does mean that I need to shift my mindset. I shouldn’t have a crushed spirit as Proverbs puts it. As a Christian the way I react is an example for others in how I believe Christ would want me to respond to good or bad circumstances. 



What’s your ‘ugh’ and how can you change your mindset so that it’s uplifting for you and those around you rather than having a negative outlook?


Memory verse

Proverbs 17:22


“A cheerful heart is good medicine,

 but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”


Reminder

Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others. 


Written September 13 2021


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inspiration Behind The “Hello Beautiful” Totes

Some of you may have noticed that I have taken a break from the blog. This is because of my new business venture. While the business itself has a story behind it, I wanted to explain the message that one particular tote I’ve created.  Every time I scroll through social media, I see girls & women who seem to seek instant gratification via a post like or comment. It’s completely human to want to be seen by others. It’s the way we go about it that matters.  My inspiration for the “Hello Beautiful” totes came at the beginning of the new year. I wanted to have something that would remind those around me (including myself), that no matter what others say about them, they are beautifully designed.  https://www.facebook.com/boldandnewdesign/ đź’— Kelly 

3 things I sometimes forget hen life is hard

2023 has been tough. It’s challenged me in ways I never expected.  It’s gotten me thinking. We often blame God for bad circumstances and praise Him when things go right. I think there are 3 things we often forget easily:  1. God gives and takes everything with a bigger purpose in mind.  Isaiah 55:9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” 2. Trials are promised, not something we’re exempt from as Christians.  James 1:2 Testing of Your Faith Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, 3. Jesus does understand  His death was the most painful kind possible in His time and He was tempted just as we are.  Matthew 4:1 The Temptation of Jesus “Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.” That doesn’t mean that trials are fun to go through. It means we need a mindset shift. Instead of being surprised by them we should exp...

How The Blog Got Started

Since I’m a little under the weather today, instead of a typical blog post, I wanted to let you know how @wordsofabelle got started.  ♥️ I started it as a creative outlet in 2018. I wasn’t sure how many people would be reached by it, but I wasn’t concerned with numbers. I wanted to write about things that were on my heart & hoped other people would relate, too.  ♥️ it’s turned into something a lot bigger than I ever thought it may have in its beginnings. I hope it will continue to help me to connect with people on a deeper level in #2020.  ♥️ R E A S O N  There have been many times I’ve felt completely uninspired or unmotivated. But I truly believe I’ve been inspired by God to start this to share my story with others who can benefit from it.  ♥️ F U T U R E  Although I don’t know what’s in store for this in 2020, I hope it continues to reach new lives in new ways.  ♥️ Thank you to everyone who has followed along ...